When we think of summer, we think of long, sunny days, barbecues, traveling, and spending quality time with family.
However, rising temperatures bring rising potential for air-conditioning problems. Here are a few common problems and ways to avoid an air-conditioning emergency, so you can avoid seeing us this season.
Common AC Problems:
Dirty air filters or blocked ducts can decrease the intake of air through your AC unit, which puts extra strain on your system.
If your fan has stopped working, it can’t transfer warm air in your house to the outside. This can lead to the compressor overheating, which can cause serious damage to your unit.
If your compressor stops, this could mean your high-pressure switch has been tripped. You can easily reset this, but you should call a professional to figure out why it tripped.
AC Unit Won’t Turn On
It may be a broken thermostat that won’t allow the unit to turn on when it gets above a certain temperature. Or it may turn on and then shut itself off.
6 Ways to Avoid AC Emergencies:
- Get an AC tune up every spring
- Have your ducts cleaned
- Buy good filters and change them monthly
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Keep bushes and other materials away from your outside unit
- Have your ducts inspected to make sure they are connected properly
- BONUS: Have a licensed HVAC technician conduct a quick tune-up
Summer is meant to relax and enjoy time with your family. Don’t let easy-to-handle problems leave you sweating through the warmest months!